Falafel is a dish from the middle East and is served in bread like a sandwich. Falafel is originally deep fried, but frying them in a pan makes them a little healthier. Cooking them in the oven, you can leave the oil out completely.
Serve with a salad or in pita bread with tomato sauce or a salsa.
Cooking time: 30 minutes using pre-cooked chickpeas: 10 minutes mixing, 10 minutes paus and 10 minutes frying. Portions: 3 portions or 12 falafels.
|Nutritional value 1 portion with 4 falafels fried in oil: 246 kcal|
21 g (36 E%)
13 g (49 E%)*
9 g (15 E%)
|*The percentage of fat is high. Guidelines are: carbohydrates 45-60 E%, fat 25-40 E% and protein 10-20%. In the combined meal the recommendations are more balanced.|
|Nutritional value for the meal: 613 kcal|
66 g (44 E%)
30 g (45 E%)
17 g (11 E%)
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 260 g / 9 oz chickpeas (or 150 ml / 5 oz dried)
- 2 egg
- 50 ml / 1 oz breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or juice from 0.25 lemons)
- 0.5 tsp sambal olek
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 pita bread
- 200 ml / 1 cup green salad
- 100 ml / 3 1/2 oz salsa
- If you are using dried chickpeas, soak them the night before and boil them for 1 hour, or according to the instructions on the packet. If using pre-cooked chickpeas, just rinse them.
- Chop 1 small onion and press 2 cloves garlic in a bowl. Mix in 260 g / 9 oz chickpeas, 2 egg, 50 ml / 1 oz breadcrumbs, 3 tbsp chopped parsley and the herbs: 1 tbsp lemon juice, 0.5 tsp sambal olek, 0.5 tsp cumin, 1 pinch black pepper and 1 pinch salt. Mix with a hand held mixer.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Take a moment and do a breathing exercise. Lay down or sit on a chair. Place one hand on your chest and one on your stomach. Breathe in and out and count your breaths for one minute. Feel if you breathe with your chest or stomach. Try to breathe deeply and calmly into the stomach. When you feel ready, stretch out and yawn.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Roll the falafels and fry them on medium heat for a few minutes.