This bread is called protein bread because it has a bit of extra protein – egg and quark. Bread usually contains between 7-12 g of protein per 100 g. This bread contains 14 g of protein per 100 g. One bread contain around 21 g of protein. Healthy seeds also give the bread some chewing substance.
The bread is best eaten freshly baked. Since they contain quite a lot of protein they are a good supplement to a meal lacking in protein, such as a vegetable soup.
4 large breads. Cooking time: 25 minutes, including 15 minutes relaxation.
|Nutritional value 1 portion: 336 kcal|
30 g (38 E%)
13 g (36 E%)
21 g (26 E%)
|*The percentage of protein is high. Guidelines are: carbohydrates 45-60 E%, fat 25-40 E% and protein 10-20%.|
- 300 ml / 6 oz wholemeal spelt flour (or grahams flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp crushed flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp whole flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, (or chia seeds or psyllium seeds)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 egg
- 200 ml / 3/4 cup quark, 1% fat
- Heat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius / gas mark 7 / 440 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a baking tray or use a sheet of baking paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients: 300 ml / 6 oz wholemeal spelt flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp crushed flaxseeds, 2 tbsp whole flaxseeds, 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp sesame seeds and 0.5 tsp salt.
- Stir in 2 egg, 200 ml / 3/4 cup quark and 2 tbsp water.
- Make 4 breads on the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Now you have quarter of an hour to spare, so try a relaxation technique with a candle. Extra cosy if it’s winter or autumn. Light a candle and sit comfortably on a chair. Focus on the flame and notice how it looks. If your thoughts start to wander, just bring the focus back to the candle when you become aware of it. Then focus on your breathing. Breathe in through your nose and let the breath fill your stomach. Hold your breath for 3 seconds. Breathe out through your mouth. Hold for 3 seconds. Repeat. In through your nose, hold for 3 seconds, out through your mouth, hold for 3 seconds. Return to your bread making calm, focused and relaxed.
- Let the bread cool for a few minutes before enjoying them.