These burgers are quite compact and very filling. Ajvar gives them a lovely paprika flavour. Serve them with a fresh green salad with some bite in it, like coleslaw salad.
The burgers can be deep frozen and reheated in the microwave.
6 portions, or 12 burgers. Cooking time: 60 minutes, or quicker with precooked lentils.
- 400 ml / 11 oz dried green lentils, or 1 liter / 4 cups boiled green lentils
- 1 large onion
- 50 ml / 1 oz whole meal spelt flour (or white flour or graham flour)
- 50 ml / 1 oz spelt germ (or wheat germ or breadcrumbs)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 egg
- 200 ml / 3/4 cup ajvar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 sprinkling Tabasco
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper (white pepper is good)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Boil 400 ml / 11 oz green lentils in 800 ml / 3 1/3 cup water and 1 tsp salt for 25 minutes, or according to the instructions on the box, until soft.
- Put on a good record, turn the music up and dance, dance, dance!
- Finely chop 1 onion and brown it in 1 tbsp cooking oil.
- When the lentils are done, rinse them quickly to cool them to lukewarm, add them to the bowl and mix in 50 ml / 1 oz spelt flour, 50 ml / 1 oz spelt germ, crush 1 clove of garlic and add 3 egg, 200 ml / 3/4 cup ajvar and the spices: 1 tsp turmeric, 1 sprinkling of Tabasco, 1 tsp chilli powder, salt and pepper. Shape into patties and fry them 4 at a time on medium heat for a few minutes on each side.