This moussaka both looks fantastic and tastes fantastic. The flavours are quite mild but full. As many oven bakes there are a few steps, but all are easy to follow.
Serve this moussaka with a fresh salad or a couple of green leaves on the side. This dish is perfect for your lunchbox the next day and to deep freeze for emergency dinners.
Cooking time: 1 hour: 20 minutes preparation and 40 minutes in the oven.
- 2 / 700 g / 1 1/2 lb aubergines
- 1 large / 300 g / 11 oz baking potato
- 400 g / 1 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 150 ml / 4 oz dried red lentils
- 500 ml / 2 cup milk
- 200 g / 7 oz feta cheese
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pot of fresh oregano
- 1 red chilli
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white flour
- Finely ground nutmeg
Step 1: Prepare the aubergines
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius / gas mark 6 / 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel 2 aubergines and slice them in 1 centimeter thick slices.
- Spread them out on a baking tray, brush them with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle 0.5 tsp salt over them. Bake the aubergines in the oven for around 10 minutes.
Step 2: The tomato sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pot. Chop 1 yellow onion and 1 red chilli, crush 3 cloves garlic. Brown the onion, garlic and chilli for a few minutes.
- Add 400 g / 1 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes, 100 ml / 3 1/2 oz water, 150 ml / 4 oz dries red lentils and 1 tsp salt. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Chop 1 pot of fresh oregano and turn it into the sauce.
Step 3: The Béchamel sauce
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in a pot and stir in 2 tbsp white flour. Lower the heat and add 500 ml / 2 cup milk, a little at a time, whilst stirring.
- Let the sauce boil whilst stirring for around 5 minutes. Add 200 g / 7 oz crumbled feta cheese and a pinch ground nutmeg.
Step 4: Everything comes together
- Peel and slice 1 large baking potato as thinly as possible.
- In an oven proof dish, start the layering with a layer of aubergine.
- Build layers of aubergine, tomato sauce and potato.
- Pour the Béchamel sauce on top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.